We recommend the following literature and links to prepare for the African School on Internet Governance. Documents in bold should be prioritised for reading prior to the school:
CLUSTER 1 – OVERVIEW OF INTERNET GOVERNANCE ISSUES AND INSTITUTIONS
APC ICTs Policy Handbook (second edition)
An introduction to internet governance
Inside the information society: A short history of the internet
Inside the Information Society: Governing the grown-up Internet
Inside the Information Society: Who are the stakeholders?
Inside the Information Society: Mapping Internet governance
Inside the Information Society: Exploring Africa’s research priorities
The World Summit on the Information Society Outcome Documents
CLUSTER 2 – INTERNET DEVELOPMENT, INFRASTRUCTURE: ARCHITECTURE, NAMES AND NUMBERS AND STANDARDS AND PROTOCOLS
Human rights and Internet protocols: comparing processes and principles
Supporting the Creation and Scalability of Affordable Access Solutions: Understanding Community Networks in Africa
Interview: Carlos Rey-Moreno on connecting SA’s rural poor
After Access connectivity brochure
Ending digital exclusion: Why the access divide persists and how to close it
Community networks recognised as an emerging topic in UN resolution on WSIS follow-up
Network infrastructures: The commons model for local participation, governance and sustainability
How the technical community frames the Internet and economic, social and cultural rights
The internet domain name system and the right to culture
CLUSTER 3 – INTERNET GOVERNANCE AND SOCIAL ISSUES: GENDER, HUMAN RIGHTS AND DEVELOPMENT
Resolution on the Right to Freedom of Expression on the Internet in Africa adopted by the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR) in Banjul on 4 November 2016
Braamfontein communiqué on the role of national human rights institutions in protecting and promoting human rights online in Africa
African Declaration on Internet Rights and Freedoms
Feminist Principles of the Internet
Women’s rights, gender and Internet governance
Inside the Information Society: ICTs, the Internet and structural inequality
The human rights paradigm in internet governance: An interview with David Souter
Watching Cameroon through the lenses of the African Declaration on Internet Rights and Freedoms
Internet governance and development
Extracting lessons from NETmundial
Beyond Access: Addressing Digital Inequality in Africa
ICT and SDGs: How Information and Communications Technology Can Achieve The Sustainable Development Goals
Intersection between women’s rights and internet governance in Uganda
Internet for Men?: The Digital Marginalisation of Women in Northern Nigeria
CLUSTER 4 – CYBERSECURITY AND DATA PROTECTION
Personal Data Protection Guidelines for Africa: A joint initiative of the Internet Society and the Commission of the African Union
African Union Convention on Cyber Security and Personal Data Protection
Briefing document: Cybersecurity policy and human rights
A rights-based approach to cybersecurity: Recommendations and considerations from a 2017 Internet Governance Forum pre-event
Cybersecurity Culture, Norms and Values
Inside the Information Society: The future of cybersecurity
EU Data Protection Package – Lacking ambition but saving the basics
Data protection: Rules for the protection of personal data inside and outside the EU
GDPR – Not Just An EU Concern: The Implications For Africa
Cybersecurity Capacity Maturity Model for Nations (CMM): The country studies conducted so far
Big Brother Watch and others vs United Kingdom, European Court of Human Rights, September 2018
Understanding the Difference between Cyber Security and Cyber Crime
CLUSTER 5 – MULTI-STAKEHOLDER APPROACHES TO INTERNET GOVERNANCE
African Union Declaration on Internet Governance and the Development of African’s Digital Economy
Issues in AU Declaration on Internet Governance
Addressing Uganda’s Transparency and accountability challenges
Public Statement: Uganda government should take a different path to social media and mobile money taxation
Inside the Information Society: The what and why of multistakeholder participation
Inside the Information Society: Multistakeholder participation, a work in progress
Inside the Information Society: Mutistakeholderism and multilateralism
Inside the Information Society: Enhanced cooperation for enhanced cooperation?
Inside the Information Society: The Internet – but whose jurisdiction?
Lifting the veil on ICT gender indicators in Africa
A toolkit for researching women’s internet access and use
UNESCO: What if we could all govern the internet
KICTANet: 10 years of ICT Policy Discourse in Kenya
IGF Academy Transfer Guide: Sharing Learning and Experience
Preparatory Webinar Session
- What is Internet Governance? – Avri Doria | Preparatory webinar introducing Internet Governance
2- Day Pre – Workshop
- Effective Participation and Management of Multistakeholder Discussions– Larry Strickling and Fiona Anonga | Interactive discussions and role-playing simulations on collaborative, multistakeholder governance processes.
Overview of internet governance concepts, institutions, and internet names, numbers
- How does the internet work – Dawit Bekele | How the internet works, who develops internet protocols and standards, and a general overview of internet architecture.
- Internet Architecture – Avi Doria | How the internet works, who develops internet protocols and standards, and a general overview of internet architecture.
- Overview and history of internet governance – Anriette Esterhuysen | Basic overview of internet governance from a narrow perspective. History of the internet in Africa. Is there only one history?
The internet addressing systems : Names and numbers – Bob Ocheing | Overview of internet names and numbers and how they are managed globally, regionally and nationally focusing on ICANN and AfriNIC.
Internet infrastructure, standards and protocol – Cybersecurity and data protection
- Cybersecurity and internet governance – Otto Saki | Cybersecurity in Africa: concepts, trends in policy and issues at stake for all stakeholder
- Deep dive into data protection – Ian Brown | Data protection, data transfers, data localisation, the right to privacy and more. Issues and challenges broadly and considerations for African stakeholders
- Data protection and privacy challenges in Africa – Teki Akuetteh Falconer | An overview of the data protection and privacy landscape in Africa including the status of data protection legislation in Africa.
Internet governance and society: Gender, human rights and policy and development
Internet governance and human rights – Avani Singh |Overview of international and regional treaties, charters and mechanisms
- Gender and internet governance – Sheena Magenya & Chanai Chair | Gender as a concept and issues that relate to access to the internet for women and girls and gender non-conforming individuals and communities.
Internet access in Africa and multi-stakeholder approaches to internet governance
- The state of internet access in Africa – Chenai Chair | Overview of availability and affordability of internet access and how policy and regulation impacts on it
- The state of internet infrastructure in Africa – Carlos Moreno, Dr | Overview of infrastructure and how policy and regulation impacts on it.