We recommend the following literature and links to prepare for the African School on Internet Governance. Documents in bold should be prioritised for reading prior to the school:
CLUSTER 1 – OVERVIEW OF INTERNET GOVERNANCE ISSUES AND INSTITUTIONS
CLUSTER 2 – INTERNET DEVELOPMENT, INFRASTRUCTURE: ARCHITECTURE, NAMES AND NUMBERS AND STANDARDS AND PROTOCOLS
CLUSTER 3 – INTERNET GOVERNANCE AND SOCIAL ISSUES: GENDER, HUMAN RIGHTS AND DEVELOPMENT
CLUSTER 4 – CYBERSECURITY AND DATA PROTECTION
CLUSTER 5 – MULTI-STAKEHOLDER APPROACHES TO INTERNET GOVERNANCE
Preparatory Webinar Session
- What is Internet Governance? – Avri Doria | Preparatory webinar introducing Internet Governance
2- Day Pre – Workshop
- Effective Participation and Management of Multistakeholder Discussions– Larry Strickling and Fiona Anonga | Interactive discussions and role-playing simulations on collaborative, multistakeholder governance processes.
Overview of internet governance concepts, institutions, and internet names, numbers
- How does the internet work – Dawit Bekele | How the internet works, who develops internet protocols and standards, and a general overview of internet architecture.
- Internet Architecture – Avi Doria | How the internet works, who develops internet protocols and standards, and a general overview of internet architecture.
- Overview and history of internet governance – Anriette Esterhuysen | Basic overview of internet governance from a narrow perspective. History of the internet in Africa. Is there only one history?
The internet addressing systems : Names and numbers – Bob Ocheing | Overview of internet names and numbers and how they are managed globally, regionally and nationally focusing on ICANN and AfriNIC.
Internet infrastructure, standards and protocol – Cybersecurity and data protection
- Cybersecurity and internet governance – Otto Saki | Cybersecurity in Africa: concepts, trends in policy and issues at stake for all stakeholder
- Deep dive into data protection – Ian Brown | Data protection, data transfers, data localisation, the right to privacy and more. Issues and challenges broadly and considerations for African stakeholders
- Data protection and privacy challenges in Africa – Teki Akuetteh Falconer | An overview of the data protection and privacy landscape in Africa including the status of data protection legislation in Africa.
Internet governance and society: Gender, human rights and policy and development
Internet governance and human rights – Avani Singh |Overview of international and regional treaties, charters and mechanisms
- Gender and internet governance – Sheena Magenya & Chanai Chair | Gender as a concept and issues that relate to access to the internet for women and girls and gender non-conforming individuals and communities.
Internet access in Africa and multi-stakeholder approaches to internet governance
- The state of internet access in Africa – Chenai Chair | Overview of availability and affordability of internet access and how policy and regulation impacts on it
- The state of internet infrastructure in Africa – Carlos Moreno, Dr | Overview of infrastructure and how policy and regulation impacts on it.